Chlorine is a chemical commonly added to city water supplies as a disinfectant to kill harmful bacteria and viruses.
While chlorine is very effective at killing dangerous pathogens, it can also have negative effects on human health when consumed in high amounts.
- Skin irritation: Chlorine can cause dry and itchy skin, eczema, and other skin irritations. It can also discolor hair, making it dull and brittle.
- Eye irritation: Chlorine can irritate the eyes, causing redness, burning, and watering.
- Respiratory problems: High levels of chlorine in the air can irritate the respiratory tract leading to symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
- Cancer: One of the main concerns about chlorine in drinking water is that it can react with other substances in the water to form carcinogenic compounds called trihalomethanes (THMs). Long-term exposure to high levels of THMs has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, particularly bladder and colon cancer. A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute in 2002 found that people who drank chlorinated water for more than 20 years had a 93% increased risk of bladder cancer.
Benefits of Removing Chlorine From City Water
Removing chlorine from city water can certainly alleviate some of these health concerns. Benefits of removing chlorine from your drinking water include:
- Improved taste and smell: Chlorine can give water a strong, unpleasant taste and smell. Removing chlorine can make water more pleasant to drink and use.
- Reduced risk of health problems: Chlorine can be harmful to human health, especially for people with asthma, allergies, or other respiratory problems. Removing chlorine from water can help to reduce the risk of these health problems.
- Improved water quality: Chlorine can react with organic matter in water to form harmful byproducts, such as trihalomethanes (THMs). These byproducts have been linked to an increased risk of cancer. Removing chlorine from water can help to reduce the levels of these harmful byproducts.
How to Remove Chlorine From Water
There are a number of ways to remove chlorine from water. For example, using the whole-house water filtration system offered by Pure Water Solutions will help to revert your chlorinated water back to spring water by removing most chemicals, disinfectant by-products caused by chlorination, pharmaceuticals if any, and heavy metals like lead from your whole house. Reverse osmosis is a process that uses a semi-permeable membrane to remove dissolved minerals and other contaminants from water, including chlorine.
All Pure Water Solution systems are installed by licensed plumbers.
Want to Remove Chlorine From Your Tap Water?
If you are concerned about Chlorine in your drinking water, call Pure Water Solutions for a 100% FREE, no-obligation water analysis.
Call Pure Water Solutions
We’ll test your water for chlorine and other contaminants.
Pure Water Solutions Guarantee
The results are always guaranteed with our Pure Water Solution systems. You can rest assured that if we do not achieve our represented results, 100% of your money will be promptly refunded. Learn more about our guarantee »